Staff Engineering Project Leader
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
We are searching for an Engineering Project Lead (EPL) who manages the technical aspects of a specific program or effort and ensures technical, schedule and cost targets are met. The EPL is similar to the Program Manager (PM) in nature, just more functionally focused with the PM as his/her primary customer. The EPL is both a project manager and technical leader/expert. An EPL�s duties are broad in nature and may encompass multiple phases of a product�s lifecycle to include Pursuit, Development, Production or Post-Delivery Support. While possessing technical expertise and experience, the individual will coordinate and lead the technical activities in support of the larger Integrated Product Team (IPT) efforts versus accomplishing the technical tasks him/herself. The EPL plans, schedules and directs the engineering support of the program, and keeps the team on plan through proactive engagement, constant and robust communication/ collaboration and focused risk management. He/she is responsible for, and has authority over, all engineering resources associated with or in support of the program and must continually engage and collaborate with engineering functional leadership to ensure the necessary resources and support are available. The EPL musters, shepherds and leads the engineering team to success, providing quality, error free technical deliverables, to include subcontractor deliverables, to the PM and formal L3T customer on cost and schedule. The EPL maintains open and clear communication with the PM, engineering function and assigned team members, other IPT members, suppliers and customer(s). The EPL is a leader in a vitally important role, and is accountable to the PM as well as the Engineering leadership.
- Partner with the Program Manager (PM) and larger Integrated Product Team (IPT) to ensure the success of the Program�technical, schedule and cost targets properly defined and met
- In drawing his/her support from the engineering function, the EPL must constantly engage the other cross-functional leaders, defending the Program�s needs and priorities while working with the leadership to understand and accommodate the demands of competing Division needs
- Interface and work closely with the customer(s) on technical and contractual requirements, and anticipate and fulfill customer needs to ensure 100% customer satisfaction and continued business expansion; negotiate as required and obtain positive resolution
- Working in conjunction with PM and Proposal Lead, to decompose business case and customer contract requirements into Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) elements, develop the detailed Basis of Estimates (BOEs), construct viable Integrated Master Plan and Schedule (IMP/IMS), determine technical deliverables and associated program risks and opportunities
- Lead the technical development of the program. Serve as the focal point for all engineering development, product definition, resource allocation, task assignment and completion, problem solving and decision making necessary to accomplish IPT charter.
- Direct the engineering team assigned to the program, manage their performance and, through a matrix structure, oversee their participation within the program
- Effectively communicate with the PM and serve as a leader on IPT through a collaborative, trust-based relationship, ensuring all have the latest information available
- Work with Division Leadership Team /Staff and functional groups to support the various meetings and reviews necessary to meet business objectives and commitments
- BS Degree in an engineering discipline; advanced degree desired, with a preference given to candidates with an MBA or business experience; Requisite years (varies by program size) in a similar technical leadership capacity, outstanding communication, negotiation, organizational and leadership skills.
- Strong background in engineering, program management, production and/or quality, complex technical product development, knowledge of avionics, related electronics and components.
Intimate knowledge of manpower planning, milestone scheduling, RTCA DO-178C/DO-254 development processes, requirements capture tools, traceability and processes, complex hardware/software integration, validation/verification, new product introduction, design for manufacturability; all requiring high attention to detail.
Capable of managing and working in an environment that is fast-paced, demanding, with a focus on problem resolution and Six Sigma-based process improvement.
Military and/or Aerospace products development and production
Willingness to travel as position requires
PMP Certification a plus
Competencies: leadership, communication, influence, change management, project management, technical acumen, strategic thinking, cross-functional collaboration
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.