Director, Business Development
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across air, land, sea, space and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $17 billion in annual revenue, 50,000 employees and customers in more than 130 countries. L3Harris.com
Job Title: Director, Business Development (Space Superiority and Geospatial)
Job Location:Herndon, VA, Colorado Springs, CO or Melbourne, Fl
L3Harris Technologies is looking for a business development team leader to support strategy development and opportunity identification, qualification and capture of new business opportunities that will revolutionize ground and space based space superiority solutions for continued U.S. dominance in the space domain.
The successful candidate will work effectively with senior business development leadership as well as Sector, program, and functional entities. The candidate will be pivotal in developing business strategy, identifying and qualifying new business opportunities and interfacing with customers to close on contract orders to meet annual operating and strategic growth plans. This position will be supporting the Space Superiority and Geospatial Sector of the Space and Airborne Systems Segment.
As part of the business development team and in partnership with Segment and business unit leadership, the successful candidate will:
- Ensure execution of comprehensive financial analysis, capture strategy, competitive assessments, business case, and price-to-win related to closing new business
- Lead and drive opportunity identification, qualification, shaping and positioning for Space Superiority and Geospatial programs across multiple customer communities through identification of unmet mission needs.
- Mature account and contact plans for major Space Superiority and Geospatial clients
- Recommend strategies and approaches for differentiation based on market understanding
- Develop a business unit roadmap of pursuits mapped to customer needs for the Sector
- Promote and foster continued business development opportunities with existing customers
- Expand and grow business base by developing new customer relationships
- Prioritize, approve and manage multi-million-dollar Sector discretionary budget
- Establish close working relationships with Sector leadership
- Effectively communicate status of activities above to executive leadership
- Lead and supervise a geographically diverse team of 18 individuals to achieve Sector objectives
- Contribute expertise to segment initiatives
- Ability to translate technical understanding of products and technology for purposes of customer communication and engagement
- Ability to understand and influence the Sector/Division strategies relative to Space Superiority and Geospatial Solutions
- Ability to influence the IRAD investment, and look for synergies between IRADs to maximize results while minimizing investments
- Create and foster a commercial business acumen culture which embraces a strategic, proactive approach in supporting business area leaders with identifying, actively pursuing and closing new business
- Guide and mentor team members and peers on Business Development best practices
- Act as a change agent for the business, ensuring innovations and developments are transitioned to successful implementation.
- Drive the day-to-day business rhythm and reporting
- Estimate and manage new business funds and participate in strategic fund planning for internal research and development
- Resolve conflicts in priorities to keep team focused on goals
- Execute campaign strategies relative to business capture planning
- Lead / support business acquisition process milestone/gate reviews; to include opportunity identification, qualification, pursuit, pre-proposal, and proposal processes
- Lead participation in forums/conferences to further position L3Harris Technologies as a thought leader for Space Superiority and Geospatial Solutions
- Represent L3Harris Technologies at customer meetings, Industry related meetings and conferences
- Help identify new markets, unmet needs and opportunities
- Perform analyses across multiple services and agencies to support the Space Superiority and Geospatial Solutions markets
- Work with the world’s leading engineers and scientists to develop research projects to shape future concepts and provide solutions to customers
- Disciplined, self-starting professional who can bring projects to closure with minimum direction, guidance and oversight
- Familiarity with Customer Relationship Management Systems (Microsoft Dynamics CRM, preferred)
- Ability to lead and develop relationships with geographically dispersed people
- Must work independently under limited supervision
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to Travel – up to 50%
- Bachelor's degree or higher with a minimum of 12 years of experience or post-graduate degree and 8 years of experience; or equivalent.
- 3-5 years’ experience leading capture efforts and programs/projects in DOD (Space Superiority And Geospatial) and Civil (Space Situational Awareness)
- 2 years with Ground based space architectures and supporting Space Situational Awareness and Space Control ground systems market
- Familiarity with technologies that are applied to and Geospatial operational missions.
- 2 years with technologies that are applied to Geospatial solutions (Data Processing, Mission Operations, sensor systems, integrated payloads, and data analytics)
- 5 years managing a geographically diverse team.
- Clearance: Active Top Secret or TS/SCI and current investigation
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Engineering degree.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and Section 804 Acquisition methods
- Knowledge of the L3Harris Technologies Business Acquisition Process (BAP) or similar Professional Strategic Sales processes (E.g. Miller Heiman).
- Demonstrated ability in competitive analysis, customer analysis, win strategy development, proposal and color team leadership and price-to win analysis
- Demonstrated ability in leading pursuit efforts and winning new business opportunities
- Possessing a broader understanding of government acquisition and Space Superiority and Geospatial markets
Please be aware many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that L3Harris Technologies may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.